Bill 148, also known as Fair Workplaces, Better Jobs Act, 2017 includes a number of changes to both the Employment Standards Act, 2000, the Labour Relations Act, 1995, and the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
What Your Brokerage Needs to Know
The implications to budgeting, scheduling and overall brokerage operations may impact your business. Please review the changes with your current business practice.
Changes in the legislation include:
- raising the minimum wage
- equal pay for equal work for casual, part-time, temporary and seasonal workers
- ·one week’s notice or pay in lieu of notice for employees of temporary help agencies if longer-term assignments end early
- fairer scheduling rules
- a minimum of three weeks' vacation after five years with the same employer
- up to 10 individual days of leave and up to 15 weeks of leave, without the fear of losing their job when a worker or their child has experienced or is threatened with domestic or sexual violence
- expanded personal emergency leave in all workplaces
- unpaid leave to take care of a critically ill family member
The information presented herein has been provided by NCHR Consulting. The content within the documents has been written for the general interest and information of the reader. Nothing said or implied within the documents should be taken, or construed in any way, as legal advice, or personal advice of any kind. It is entirely informational, offered to members as a resource. Contact an HR professional regarding your own situation.