Getting Licensed in Nova Scotia
The Nova Scotia Associate Mortgage Broker Course and the Nova Scotia Mortgage Broker Education Program are the only required courses for licensing by Service Nova Scotia and Internal Services (SNS-IS).
Both courses are offered in an online format and take roughly 40-60 hours to complete. Each have a final examination.
WHY CHOOSE US?
Associate Mortgage Broker Course
The Nova Scotia Associate Mortgage Broker Course contains province specific information including regulations, legislation, and business practices. It covers all the key topics, skills, and knowledge necessary for you to successfully enter the industry as an associate mortgage broker. The program was developed with the assistance of education experts and through extensive industry consultation. The associate mortgage broker course is roughly 40 hours online with a final examination. Exam rewrites are available for those students who require it.
REGISTER FOR THE ONLINE COURSE TODAY (SELECT OPTION):
Mortgage Broker Education Program
The Nova Scotia Mortgage Broker Education Program is the required course to becoming a licensed mortgage broker in Nova Scotia. This is the only approved course for licensing as a mortgage broker by the Service Nova Scotia and Internal Services (SNS-IS). The Mortgage Broker Education Program is designed in line with the SNS-IS requirements. The program was developed with the assistance of education experts and through extensive industry consultation, ensuring that the curriculum aligns with actual practice.
Additional licensing requirements for Nova Scotia Mortgage Brokers and Associate Mortgage Brokers are available via the Mortgage Regulation Act website.
The Nova Scotia Mortgage Broker Education Program has a different focus than the associate mortgage broker course above – it is based on the skills and knowledge required to effectively supervise associate mortgage brokers and to ensure that the brokerage complies with all applicable rules. Upon completion of the program, you will be able to successfully operate and open your very own brokerage!
TAKE OUR ONLINE COURSE:
Virtual Exam(s) are now available for this course. Enjoy a safe, physically distanced testing experience, in a comfortable setting of your choosing. Please note, Virtual Exams are offered in English only.
Please make sure to read the Course and Cancellation Policies documents for each course below before registering:
This course covers all the key topics, skills and knowledge necessary for you to successfully enter the industry as a mortgage associate. See below for the course syllabus:
PART 1: THE MORTGAGE INDUSTRY IN PERSPECTIVE
PART 2: MORTGAGE MATHEMATICS
- Module 1 - Overview of the Industry
- Module 2 - Regulatory Framework
- Module 3 - Legal Overview
PART 3: THE MORTGAGE PROCESS FROM A-Z
- Module 4 - Mortgage Mathematics
PART 4: PROTECTING CONSUMERS & INCREASING INDUSTRY PROFESSIONALISM
- Module 5 - Understanding The Mortgage Process
- Module 6 - Completing The Mortgage Application
- Module 7 - Qualifying The Borrower
- Module 8 - Mortgage Products, Related Products, And Submitting The Application
- Module 9 - Appraisals
- Module 10 - The Closing Process
- Module 11 - Protecting Consumers & Increasing Industry Professionalism
This course covers all the key topics, skills and knowledge necessary for you to successfully enter the industry as a mortgage broker. See below for the course syllabus:
MODULE 1: SETTING UP YOUR BROKERAGE
MODULE 2: STAFFING AND SUPERVISING YOUR BROKERAGE
- The Regulatory Environment
- The Role of the Principal Broker
- Brokerage Models
- Dealing with the Regulator
MODULE 3: OPERATING YOUR BROKERAGE
- Recruiting and Hiring Suitable Employees
- Identifying Key Competencies
- Supervising, Managing and Coaching
- Ethical Practice in the Mortgage Industry
MODULE 4: DEALING WITH YOUR CUSTOMERS
- Creating a Culture of Compliance
- Creating and Implementing Policies and Procedures
- Managing and Ensuring Compliance
- Record Keeping and Reporting Requirements
- Trust Fund Obligations and Private Investors
- Understanding Financial Statements
- Information Security
MODULE 5: PROTECTING YOUR CUSTOMERS
- The Duty of Care
- Identifying Parties to Transactions
- Ensuring Suitability
- Complaint Handling
- Advertising Standards
- Fraud Prevention
- Prohibited Activities
Got a question? Try browsing our FAQ below for help. If your question is still not answered, please call us at 416-385-2333 x2610 for further assistance!
- What is the passing grade?
- What happens if I fail?
Rewrites are free for scheduled exams at our MPC facilities. However, a fee of $75 would apply if booking an individual exam outside the GTA, or booking an online exam. You must re-write the exam within 6 months of receiving pass/fail email notification. If you fail a second time, you will need to re-enroll in the course.
- How do I book an exam and where can I write it?
Online learners need to complete their course before an exam date can be booked. Once complete, learners will have access to the BOOK EXAM button on their My Activities page. For full details on examinations and testing sites, please visit our exam info page
- Does the exam cost money?
Outside of GTA exams booked at third party test centres and online exam bookings cost $75+applicable taxes.
- How can I request a rewrite and how many rewrites do I get?
to schedule a re-write within 6 months of receiving your grade. Only 1 rewrite is permitted. If you fail the rewrite, re-enrollment would be required to continue with your studies.
- When do I get access to my online program?
Online access is available immediately upon registration. Students can either download their e-textbook from their online course or use the link provided to them in their emailed registration receipt.
- When will my course certificate arrive?
Certificates will arrive by Canada Post 2-3 weeks of receiving pass notification.
- Can I place a hold on my course, or transfer my registration to another person?
No. However, exceptions may be made if requests are submitted to the Education Department by email for review.